insert inane apology note here about lack of updates here that is completely irrelevant to anyone’s life besides my own
Things I have recently learnt to appreciate about Hong Kong:
- the abundance of japanese/korean cosmetic products (and how good they are like wow why did i not love you before)
- public transport and their beautifully reasonable prices due to high demand
- cantonese humour (not that i understand most of it but enough that it makes my heart melt a little whenever people insult me)
- the grumpy waiters/waitresses in the cha chan teng who sass you but also call you ‘leng lui/leng zai’
- the sheer speed of everything
- (also my family and friends)
First term has been an interesting experience- in some ways, it’s what I could have hoped for (and more) and in others it’s completely different to what I expected it to be, but one thing I’ve felt is that it’s incredibly easy to get wrapped up in it all.
And to those in the midst of their application processes right now: yes, it will be as tiring as you have read it to be. It will be an active choice, and though it is exhausting, you will probably choose it regardless.
Coming home has felt a little like slipping out of one dream and into another, but it’s reminded me where I come from. It’s not perfect (see this recent news article), but it’s also nice to acknowledge that Hong Kong is on the whole a good place (if there’s any real way to define that).
Five days to go to enjoy this place, and I’m not entirely sure how to do so.
lbr i’m probably going to spend the next few days buying food/ stationery/ being a dirty dirty consumer